Birding season in the RGV is serious business. With one of the most unique avian populations in the nation, it is a prime destination for birding enthusiasts and eco-tourists. If you want to make the most out of a birding visit to The Valley, there are plenty of locations to choose from.
Whether it is the Roma Bluffs or South Padre Island, there’s no shortage of interesting terrain and spectacular spots to pick. The RGV boasts beautifully lush flora and charming fauna that can be observed in any of the wings of the World Birding Center located in South Texas.
Go and Explore!
Depending on where you are and what you want to see, there are several options for your birding adventures like wildlife refuges, state parks and other historical landmarks . Check out the following locations:
- Bentsen – Rio Grande Valley (Mission): Home to the headquarters of the World Birding Center, this 760-acre park provides year-round fun.
- Edinburg Scenic Wetlands (Edinburg): This 40-acre park is home to many waterfowl and shorebirds.
- Estero Llano Grande (Weslaco): Right in the center of The Valley, Llano Grande is home to endangered species.
- Harlingen Arroyo Colorado (Harlingen): This park is full of hike-and-bike trails.
- Old Hidalgo Pumphouse (Hidalgo): This historic venue also features a museum.
- Quinta Mazatlan (McAllen): Explore this 1930s country mansion which educates about the importance of wildlife preservation.
- Resaca de la Palma (Brownsville): Visit the largest park in the World Birding Center network.
- Roma Bluffs (Roma): This park is part of a national historic district.
- SPI Birding and Nature Center (South Padre Island): This center boasts 50 acres of land right on the beach.
These parks will not disappoint when it comes to outdoor adventures. Whether you’re a hobbyist or a serious birder, the Valley has plenty of options for you.